Tuesday 3 August 2010

Why yet another poker blog?

Ok, I have been debating for some time whether I should start my own poker blog and have finally taken the plunge but wanted to outline what sort of blog it will be, just in case anyone groans and thinks 'Yet another site for bad beat stories'.

Firstly, a little summary about me. I play online poker under the screen-name Barnfather on both Full Tilt and Pokerstars, and have also started building up my live poker experience mainly at the DTD Poker club in Nottingham, but also had an experience this year playing at the World Series of Poker in Vegas, which I will cover in another post. I've been playing semi-seriously now for around two years and still consider myself very much in learning mode - or a fish in other words!

In terms of online forums, I post mostly at the forum affiliated with Poker.co.uk, run by Matt Dale - also known as the Gambling Network Forum. Its a friendly place and whilst most of the members seem to be based in the South West of England, I've found my way there. I also post at the daddy of poker forums, Two plus Two and lurk in the background at Blonde Poker, mainly due to the connections with my local club DTD.

I read poker blogs on and off, both from some of the top pro's and amateurs and the one thing I didn't want is to follow the path of posting my latest results, bad-beats and hand histories. Whilst there is nothing wrong with that at all, I don't think it will be terribly interesting to many and I will feel more motivated to update the blog if I make it a bit more, ahem, 'content rich'. For that reason, I will post my opinions on a variety of pokery things, be it news or strategy as well as anything significant that happens to me whilst pursuing this hobby (such as a WSOP trip report). I will occasionally update on my progress and current challenges although will try and keep this a little bit in the background. If I do a specific challenge then I guess I will drill into a bit more detail, but thats not really the point of doing this so I will try and avoid the temptation!

I also unashamedly say that I was in part inspired by the excellent blogging by Dr Pauly on the Tao of Poker website during the WSOP.

I only have a small amount of blog writing experience, after doing one a few years ago following a broken ankle, so bear with me if I mess everything up from time to time.

Anyway, hope you enjoy reading

No comments:

Post a Comment