Saturday 28 April 2012

DTD Grand Prix VI - Day Two

Well that was a pretty crappy day poker-wise

First seven hands of the day, there were seven all-ins making me wish they really had rolled the blinds back a level or two and stuck with a 30 min clock. After receiving complete junk for the remainder of the level, I had won only one hand (my SB shove to pick up the BB). After a while I was down at around 10bb's and about to hit the blinds again. What little fold equity I had would need to be exercised ahead of the blinds, so I open shoved J8s from early position, hoping no-one woke up with a decent hand. Folded around to the SB who called with QQ, and hit a Q on the flop to send me out. Yawn. Finished 264th out of 2325 runners.

On reflection, I think I picked the wrong spot to shove for a variety of reasons. Firstly, I was way too focused on the '10bb' thing and especially hitting the upcoming blinds as that would reduce my stack by getting on towards another 10k. In reality, continuing to fold could have allowed me to shove from mid-late position and stand a better chance of getting through which would have boosted me back up to 10bb's anyway - I would naturally also receive a bunch more cards which could have been better than the ones I chose to push with (or not, probably). Given the structure, I actually think on reflection that I could have folded down to 5bb's as my fold equity was pretty shot anyway and a flip with someone at that point may end up trebling my stack - still leaving me short but giving me some more time. Additionally - and this is a real kicker, with them paying 234 players, I could well have cashed just by blinding out.

Of course, if I had hit a straight or a flush and doubled up, this could be a very different blog post so its easy to look at things differently based on outcomes. In real terms I don't think open-shoving J8s was a bad play, but I think it was a bad spot to do it and given the payout positions nearing, I should have waited a bit longer.

Still - one day I will actually run good at a critical point in a live tournament....

Topped that off by losing around £100 on cash games, much of that from hitting a set against a guy who hit a straight on the river, and two-pair against another guy who rivered a straight. Sometimes, the game frustrates so much. Toyed with the idea of entering the evening tournament but how much punishment do I want? Going home to watch The Voice seemed a better approach in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment